Monday, January 10, 2011

Final Reflection

I did not have a good taste for this book when I started. Unfortunately, I was the Super Summary person and bashed the book. I felt like the author was attacking me. As I read on, he finally mentions that the change is bigger than teachers. I totally agree with this. We need to look at what is best for the students. If it is a bridge that brings the school and business world together, then let's do it. Money and politics are such large factors in this equation. As I also said in my Super Summary where are the businesses in helping good for Xerox to bring in 15 year olds.

As teachers we have a short time to fill all of our curriculm requirements and be accountable for testing. As a computer teacher, I am also accountable for a technology test at the end of 8th grade that may or may not cover my standards (seems like a guess every year). I would love to be able to give technology "challenges/assignments" and see how students respond but I have only 7 weeks with students to cover all of my curriculum. Wagner has valid ideas and some solutions but it has to be decisions far above my job position. I was happy to read he does recognize teachers are stuck.

I liked the way he mentioned the "Growing Up Digital" section (pg 170+). These daily/hourly tasks that every day people are using are banned in our schools ( MySpace, cell phones, You Tube). Technology is instant and that is the way our students are learning.

He has great ideas that could really work but it is going to take time, money and changing people's perspectives which is hard to do.

This book reminds me of a program that we are doing at the middle school on our Friday Intersessions. We have a DI team which comes together and the students solve problems. They compete and did well last year and year before. But once again, not all students come and use this opportunity because we do not have time during school. It all comes down to testing and money.

No comments:

Post a Comment