Monday, October 25, 2010

Summary of 1st Reading

Global Awareness summary- the author has done a tremendous amount of research/interviewing business leaders and asking them what they want in an employee. The leaders have said they want individuals to be able to ask questions, solve problems, improve the business, and communicate with the world. They also want the students to be able to address global issues.

My Quote: page 26- Mike Summers, vp of Global Talent Management at Dell Computers- "Students have a naivete about how work gets done in the corporate environment. They have a predisposition toward believing that everything is clearly outlined, and then people give directions, and then other people execute until there's a new set of directions. They don't understand the complexities of an organization."

My thoughts- This book was not my first choice (not even my third - but Borders had it) so I probably came in with a bad attitude. But I wanted to get started right away. Then when the second page referred to the book "The World is Flat" I rolled my eyes. I have heard one too many speeches about how we are compared to Japan, India, China etc. Japan students go to school literally year round, Germany places their students into tracks and test the best ones. We are accountable for every child every time. Which we should be- but don't compare us to those who don't. My other thought on this book. Where is the question to the business people- what are you doing to help the schools. Do you have mentoring programs,volunteer at our schools, or aid in the financial way? What are they doing? The teachers today have a very hard job. We are the first generation to be responsible for global awareness/world communication. How do we do it with budget cuts, computers that do not work, and NCLB scores threatening us? When does the "real world" step in and say how can we help?

3 comments:

  1. Oooh! Some great comments. I especially like how you point out that while these leaders are willing to say what needs to be taught (problem solving, critical thinking, etc.), thus far in the book it has not been addressed as to what they are actually doing.
    I am so glad you posted all those thoughts... I have been grappling with these "new" ideas since I first cracked the book. It is shaping my thinking, and my teaching, but I get frustrated because changes do not happen overnight... but yes, we have a monumental job; there are days where I wonder if I, personally, am doing any good... especially after reading about the skills they are demanding in these rigorous fields.
    Hmph! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danielle, thank you for putting it bluntly. You just made my day, and it's great to know that I'm not the only person who is having this predicament with this text. I have a hard time with the fact that we need to teach problem solving and teamwork, but we are judged solely on how our students do on a multiple choice test. Yet, when it comes to taking responsibility and telling us WHAT exactly we can do differently and HOW to do it, nobody has the courage (or the brains???) to step in and show us. This is probably due to the fact that it's easier to point the finger than actually do something about it...besides write a book and complain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great points Danielle! I especially like your point about how we hold every student accountable. I understand that NCLB wants to force our world into some utopia where every person is brilliant, all performing on the same level; however, I wonder when NCLB will wake up from the dream and arrive at acceptance.

    ReplyDelete