Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Closing the Gap-Super Summary

This chapter is all about new and innovative schools. The schools which are showcased teach skills that are almost identical to the seven survival skills listed in the text. Some common themes of these schools that I noticed are:

1) Project-based learning
2) Smaller class sizes
3) Cross-curricular units of study
4) Field experience (internships)
5) Consistent student conferencing with EACH student
6) Individualized programs of study based on student interest
7) Community involvement and support
8) AND financial stability

I have to admit I started out quite skeptical of this book. However, I really feel that it has opened my eyes and made me really look at the way I teach. This chapter especially hit home for me. I often feel that students miss out on a lot of the experiences they SHOULD be getting because of the large emphasis on test taking and knowledge based standards. I am really finding that when students are most motivated I have to cut them off because we just have so much content to cover and not enough time for the things that really matter.

The quote that I picked is actually on the very last page of the conclusion chapter:

"If not you, then who? If not now, then when?"

We should all take a minute to reflect on this quote and then, just as I tell my students, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT, or at least try! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment